Anyone who knows the frustration of wanting to have a baby but has been unable to bear a child, has no doubt tried, or at least considered, some of the modern medical options available to treat infertility. Many of these treatments can be expensive and invasive. However, there is an ancient method that can be as effective as the modern, high-tech methods of treatment. That treatment technique is acupuncture.
Acupuncture is known as a treatment for various maladies like muscular injuries, stress, and more. Acupuncture may seem like an odd way to address infertility but it has been proven that it can both help in the treatment of infertility and improve the effects of other infertility treatments. Any Florida resident who wishes to experience the joy of childbirth should consider fertility acupuncture in Miami to increase their chances of becoming pregnant.
What Are the Causes of Infertility?
Infertility in women can be caused by the following different reasons:
- Excess Prolactin – Prolactin is a hormone released by the pituitary gland that stimulates milk production. Too much prolactin (hyperprolactinemia) can reduce estrogen levels and cause infertility. The excessive production of prolactin is usually caused by a pituitary gland problem or by medication that is being taken for a different disease.
- Hypothalamic Dysfunction – The hormones responsible for ovulation stimulation are FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) and LH (Luteinizing Hormone). The production of these hormones can be disrupted by significant weight gain or loss, very high or very low body weight, or considerable emotional or physical stress.
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) – This is the most common cause of infertility, it is caused by a hormone imbalance that results in elevated androgens. Symptoms include a lack of, or irregular, menstruation, heavy periods, excess body and facial hair, acne, pelvic pain, and difficulties with conception.
- Premature Ovarian Failure – Also called Primary Ovarian Insufficiency, this is a condition where women who have not yet reached the age of menopause, lose their eggs, new eggs are no longer produced, and the level of estrogen is lowered.
The fallopian tubes can become blocked or damaged, when this happens it can prevent sperm from getting to the egg, or prevent the fertilized egg from getting to the uterus. Causes of tubal infertility include the following:
- Prior Abdominal or Pelvic Surgery
- Pelvic Tuberculosis
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease – This can be caused by STDs like gonorrhoea or chlamydia and results in infection of the fallopian tubes.
This is when tissue that usually only grows in the uterus grows in other areas of the body. This condition can cause pelvic pain and infertility; the surgical removal of the excess tissue can cause scarring, which may also lead to infertility.
Uterine or Cervical Problems
- Uterine Abnormalities – These are problems, like an abnormally shaped uterus, which are present from birth that can prevent pregnancy from occurring.
- Cervical Stenosis – This is a narrowing of the cervix, it can be an inherited defect, or it can be caused by damage to the cervix.
- Fibroids or Myomas – These are benign polyps or tumors that can obstruct the fallopian tubes. However, many women with these conditions are capable of becoming pregnant.
Acupuncture Can Improve The Chance Of Fertility
Acupuncture can be used to treat infertility and to improve the chances of other infertility treatments like IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) or donor egg transfer. As a fertility treatment, acupuncture works by improving ovarian and follicular function. It can also improve blood flow to the endometrium, giving it a thick lining that increases the chances of implantation.
It should be noted that acupuncture cannot provide any help in situations where there is a structural defect such as fibroids or cervical scarring resulting from endometriosis. If you are having trouble conceiving and are certain that structural problems are not the reason, then consider visiting a professional for fertility acupuncture. Miami has several licensed acupuncturists who specialize in fertility treatment, who can help you experience the joy of motherhood for the first time.
Show Comments (0)